Join MVMA | Print Page | Contact Us | Report Abuse | Sign In
MVMA History
Share |

MVMA History

(Taken from “The History of Veterinary Medicine in Mississippi” 1906-1992, compiled by W.H. Lindley, DVM)

At the organizational meeting of the Mississippi State Veterinary Medical Association (MSVMA), officers were elected; a constitution and bylaws were adopted (January 1906). The objective of the association was stated to be, “to promote good fellowship, to elevate the standards of veterinary science, to enlighten and direct public opinion regarding veterinary problems of state medicine and to protect the material interests of the veterinary medical profession.” The need for protection of the livestock interests of the state from disease losses and from losses resulting from unscientific treatment by the untrained was recognized. Plans were made for securing legislation to create a State Board of Veterinary Examiners and a Livestock Sanitary Board with the State Veterinarian as a part of it. Though it did not pass initially, members of the MSVMA continued to pursue this legislation, and on March 28, 1914, House Bill 137 was finally passed by the State Legislature providing for the creation of a State Board of Veterinary Examiners and the licensing of the veterinary practitioner. HB 137, otherwise known as the Veterinary Practice Act, provided for five members on the Examining Board, two of whom were appointed by the Governor, and three to be elected by members of the MSVMA. Since providing education to “elevate the standards of veterinary science” was one of the primary reasons why MSVMA was formed, a decision was made by the Board of Directors in 1954 to conduct two meetings ofMSVMA. The first was in Jackson, Mississippi (January 17-18) and was designated the “48th Annual Convention.” A decision was made to change the “annual” meeting from January to mid-summer, so a second meeting was held inBiloxi (July 11-13). The incorporation of MSVMA was discussed at a special meeting on April 20, 1956 in Jackson. The decision to incorporate was in large part due to the awareness by the members of various civil rights suits instigated around the country, particularly in the South. On May 25, 1956, an organizational meeting of the newly incorporated MSVMA was held in Jackson. Twenty years later on June 21, 1976, the Association was officially renamed Mississippi Veterinary Medical Association (MVMA).At the organizational meeting of the Mississippi State Veterinary Medical Association (MSVMA), officers were elected; a constitution and bylaws were adopted (January 1906). The objective of the association was stated to be, “to promote good fellowship, to elevate the standards of veterinary science, to enlighten and direct public opinion regarding veterinary problems of state medicine and to protect the material interests of the veterinary medical profession.” The need for protection of the livestock interests of the state from disease losses and from losses resulting from unscientific treatment by the untrained was recognized. Plans were made for securing legislation to create a State Board of Veterinary Examiners and a Livestock Sanitary Board with the State Veterinarian as a part of it. Though it did not pass initially, members of the MSVMA continued to pursue this legislation, and on March 28, 1914, House Bill 137 was finally passed by the State Legislature providing for the creation of a State Board of Veterinary Examiners and the licensing of the veterinary practitioner. HB 137, otherwise known as the Veterinary Practice Act, provided for five members on the Examining Board, two of whom were appointed by the Governor, and three to be elected by members of the MSVMA. Since providing education to “elevate the standards of veterinary science” was one of the primary reasons why MSVMA was formed, a decision was made by the Board of Directors in 1954 to conduct two meetings ofMSVMA. The first was in Jackson, Mississippi (January 17-18) and was designated the “48th Annual Convention.” A decision was made to change the “annual” meeting from January to mid-summer, so a second meeting was held inBiloxi (July 11-13). The incorporation of MSVMA was discussed at a special meeting on April 20, 1956 in Jackson. The decision to incorporate was in large part due to the awareness by the members of various civil rights suits instigated around the country, particularly in the South. On May 25, 1956, an organizational meeting of the newly incorporated MSVMA was held in Jackson. Twenty years later on June 21, 1976, the Association was officially renamed Mississippi Veterinary Medical Association (MVMA).

 

PAST PRESIDENTS of MVMA